Like many people, I'm often away from home during the daytime. Whether running errands, meeting clients, conducting workshops, or organizing trainings, it's wonderful to come home to a nutritious AND delicious meal.
Would having your very own personal chef - just 2 or 3 nights a week - make a difference in the quality of your evening meals? You bet! Who doesn't want to come home after a long day only to be welcomed by the comforting aroma of a home-cooked delight. Imagine washing your hands, getting a plate and serving yourself buffet style. Picture yourself sitting down to a full meal within 30 minutes of walking through the door!
If you're thinking "ooh that would be nice but who can afford the luxury of a personal chef?", my answer to that is "EVERYONE"! And to get you started, let me introduce you to my very own personal chef ... the crock pot!
I've actually owned a crock pot (also called a 'slow cooker') for most of my adult life but, unfortunately, didn't place a high enough value on it. But once I finally figured it out, we got busy and have been putting together amazing meals ever since! It's a team effort that saves my time, my $, and my health.
Crock pots are inexpensive and available everywhere, so no matter where you live you can have your very own personal chef! If you don't already have one buried in the garage or back of a closet, here are a few tips to consider before making the purchase:
- be sure to choose one with the removable stoneware bowl
- the oval shaped ones hold more without using much more counterspace
- go for the larger size (5-6 qt) even if your household is small - leftovers make terrific lunch
- select a model with the settings for low, high and keep warm
- the crock pot travel bag comes in handy for carrying foods to potlucks, etc
- the new programmable models allow you to switch too 'keep warm' after cooking is complete
Finally, many slow cooker recipes are filled with processed cheeses, lots of sodium, fatty meats and long difficult instructions. But wait!! Don't re-hide your crock pot just yet. It is possible to enjoy healthy crock pot meals, and there are a few recipes to get you started:
Eat slow and enjoy your meals!!!