Every time I go food shopping I'm tempted to buy avocados to add to salads, accompany beans, make guacamole, or mixed with lime juice and salt atop corn thins. The body loves all the healthy fats and fiber in avocados too. In fact, in people with mildly elevated cholesterol levels, the monounsaturated fats in avocados have been found to lower LDL (bad fats) and raise HDLs (good fats).
Between the versatility and health benefits of avocados, who can buy just one? Certainly not me!
Unfortunately, if you don't eat them fast enough, they go bad. And refrigeration doesn't really help. So, my dilemma became what to do with really ripe avocados. Inadvertently, I found a solution: pudding. Yes, pudding ... made from avocados.
- It's vegan - no dairy or eggs
- It uses carob instead of chocolate (which I can't have)
- Avocados + Carob = Super Nutrients
- It requires minimal and natural ingredients
- It makes two satisfying servings
- It refrigerates nicely for the next day
- Clean up is a cinch
- The resulting texture and flavor are enjoyable
- And most importantly, it is quick, healthy and delicious!
Here's how mine came out ...
Let's face it, when you want dessert, you want it right then, not in 30 minutes, but now! Although Shafia's recipe claims to take 5 minutes, I find that to be true once you have all of the ingredients assembled and measured out. So in reality it's more like 10 minutes, which is still a short time to satisfy a craving for something decadent ... and healthy!